Resurrected Fascism

William B. Ryan william_b_ryan at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 30 15:17:21 PDT 1998

----Original Message Follows----

Your take on fascism is way off the facts -- in my view.

The full employment schemes of Mosler and Mitchell

are fair attempts with no hint of fascist possibilities.

They come closest to the CCC of the New Deal.

I believe Mosler has paid lots of money for travel and

expenses, bribes if you like, to academics for their

support. So what. They don't give an inch in their

own version of how things work or what to do. They

merely invite him to present his stuff in an academic

setting. I understand he has millions. So he seeks to

influence the world as a miniature George Soros.

He would like to thought of as inventive and wise.

Who wouldn't? Me -- of course. You??

The CCC was described as "fascist" at the time, and was so described in the obiter dictum to the Supreme Court decision that declared it to be unconstitutional.

The CCC set-up militarized labor camps, sometimes hundreds of miles away from home and family, where the unemployed were expected to report.

That Roosevelt was indeed a good-hearted and talented "President" who happened to be confronted by an independent and brave judiciary is something that Americans should be forever thankful. Other peoples were not nearly so fortunate in the low quality of their own "Fuehrers" and "Duces," and the lack of comparable checks and balances in their political systems.

What is so appalling is that self-styled "liberals" can promote such programs as we enter the 21st century. Surely, we must have the hindsight of prior experience.

There are real problems that need to be solved as Western economies deindustrialize, jobs are lost and living standards degrade.

Cracking the whip is not the way to do it.