UAW & women

MScoleman at aol.com MScoleman at aol.com
Tue Jun 30 18:19:27 PDT 1998

<< One interesting thing about the film is the

>absolute domination of men in the UAW. Not a woman on the bargaining team.

unfortunately, this is not rare. The only, ONLY nationwide unions with significant female leadership are the teachers unions. F'rinstance, the ILGWU -- always a majority female membership since its inception, has never had more than one or two women in national leadership; the CWA has always been a majority female and has never had more than one woman at a time at a national level until recent years -- now they have two (whoopty doo); and the teamsters have a numerically larger female membership than any union in the USA and we all know how many women THEY have in leadership positions. The boys take our dues money, but power?????

maggie coleman mscoleman at aol.com