against 'entrenched identities' -- Response to A. Kliman

MScoleman at aol.com MScoleman at aol.com
Tue Jun 30 19:07:00 PDT 1998

In a message dated 98-06-30 22:04:46 EDT, MScoleman writes:

<< The response by Andrew Kliman to some of my recent comments is printed in full below -- and I am very pleased that he took the time to address some of my criticisms. Let me just say that I was using the surplus value mini conference as an example of how many marxists (not all) (at least in economics and political economy) are decades behind other groups of people in economics and political economy who have attempted to synthesize race/gender/class/ and ethnicity issues. My comments were not meant to demean the work done in other areas nor the diminish the efforts by the organizers of the mini-conferences to broaden out the diversity of the presentations -- in no way did i mean to imply that anyone was consciously prevented from participating in the surplus value discussions.

That said, I would like to respond to some of AK's points. Particularly, the miniconference did sponsor a panel on domestic labor. While I didn't attend the panel, I did skim some of the papers and I am relatively familiar with the domestic labor debates. In fact, the issue of domestic labor and marxism is probably one of the best to use to explain my problems with the integration of feminism and marxism. The domestic labor debates, at least in the papers I looked at, for this miniconference are not significantly different than the domestic labor debates which went on beginning in the early 70s and continuing through the mid 1980s, and that is exactly the problem. The domestic labor debates were new and exciting then, and they have become repetitive, trailing far behind the feminist dialogue of the late 80s and 1990s! MOST WOMEN DO NOT SIMPLY PERFORM DOMESTIC LABOR -- in fact, minority women and immigrant women have NEVER BEEN PRIMARILY HOUSEWIVES. Helllloooooooo, is anyone listening? The inclusion of an old debate is not a way of engaging the marxist/feminist dialog which is, imho, a natural one -- both feminists and marxists have a vested interest in examining and realizing the tremendous importance of women as a construct for increased class exploitation. Further, by continuing to buy the bourgeois view of woman as homemaker, marxists refuse to see that women of color and recent immigrant women have different life experiences than middle and upper class white women -- and different than working class white women -- which is at heart a CLASSLESS analysis of women!!!!!! So by not exploring the deconstruction of women by class and race, marxists are ultimately saying exactly the same thing about women which is said by the right wing!

I realize that the organizing committee for the surplus value debates is not marxist -- but it is the center draw for most marxists, and the work presented by these marxists make it clear that they see the way to either 'proving' or 'disproving' the theory of surplus value as a sexless/raceless/neutral task. I say this can not by so. The working class on which the theory of surplus value is based is not raceless and sexless. In fact, the very social constructions of race and sex have paved the way for very different extractions of surplus value from workers performing similar occupations. On the assembly line, women make one rate, people of color make another and white males make another. This means the surplus value of their work differs, with capital making different rates of surplus value from different segments of the working class. To me, this should take a central place in the surplus value debates, but it does not because marxists tend to assume that there is a 'normative' worker -- the white male, and that other workers are white male wannabes. F'rinstance, in one of the sessions I attended, the speaker used data on only white male production workers to discuss rates of profit and surplus value -- when I asked why there were no women production workers included, he told me with a straight face that women, in general, do not produce surplus value. allllllrighty then.

this leads to my final point. The organizers of the miniconference do seem to be an interesting and active bunch who seek variety in presentations. However, if the result is that any attempt at variety is sort of frozen out by the other participants, either by non-interest or by intellectual doublespeak, or whatever, then variety will not be forthcoming, and the debates which should be sparking and speaking to each other, will continue to be carried out in separate rooms.

maggie coleman mscoleman at aol.com

<< In a message of Wednesday, June 24, 1998 11:33 PM, Maggie Coleman

wrote:

"I still think much of the left uses the 'excuse' that issues of

race and gender and sexuality fall under identity politics to

avoid the arduous task of synthesizing issues of race AND gender

and sexulity AND class ... many people interested in traditional

marxian issues such as surplus value have not begun to do [this].

So, f'rinstance, in every iaffe session I went to at the

easterns, there were synthesis articles presented on gender and

class, race and gender, etc. The marxist sessions offer no such

allurements."