Union Democracy

Tom Lehman uswa12 at lorainccc.edu
Tue Jun 30 21:47:22 PDT 1998

Dear Doug and the Left Business Observers, Labor unions are not perfect democratic organizations, they never have been and they probably never will be. Its not so much a question of leadership, but, of democratic structure. For example, in the United Steelworkers of America we have direct election of our local, district and international officers on the principle of one steelworker one vote. If you want to be involved, you can be, and are encouraged to be involved at whatever level of involvement you feel comfortable with. Even with this I don't think you will find a steelworker, who doesn't think we couldn't improve our democracy.

I still think this is a real bad time for the autoworkers and they need all of the help they can get---particularly from the smart and stylish who read this list. Sincerely, Tom Lehman