Manifesto's publication date

Chris Burford cburford at gn.apc.org
Sun May 3 09:59:41 PDT 1998

At 10:06 PM 5/2/98 +0100, Lew wrote:
>In article <3.0.32.19980502153421.00702e50 at mail.miningco.com>, Jacob
>Levich <jake at miningco.com> writes
>>Does anyone know the precise publication date of the original (English)
>>edition of the Communist Manifesto? The best I can do is narrow it down to
>>February, 1848.
>>
>>Jake
>
>The original edition of the Manifesto was published in German in London.
>Its cover page just has the date February 1848. It was printed between
>14 and 18 February. Engels began an English translation in 1849 but did
>not complete it. The first English translation was by Helen MacFarlane
>in 1850 for the weekly newspaper, Red Republican. Her translation
>begins: "A frightful hobgoblin stalks throughout Europe..." The
>"authorised" English version by Engels and Moore was first published in
>1888.
>--
>Lew

A while ago on marxism-general (16th March) I posted a report on a commemoration meeting on the Manifesto at the London School of Economics, hosted by the Marx Memorial Library, London.

>> the main first speaker was Prof David McLellan, President of the Library
and a contributor to the Dictionary of Marxist Thought, from the University of Kent.

In personal questioning, McLellan confirmed that no precise date for the anniversary of the publication of the Manifesto is known, but it was certainly February and probably early February.

<<

Chris Burford

London.