cultural politics/"real" politics

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon May 4 07:53:53 PDT 1998

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

>I think I was born just in time for mass production/democratization of SM.

Just why is that happening now? Is it just a generally greater openness about sexual practices not approved of by the Bible, or is there something about the eroticization of power in a world where hierarchies are steepening?

>Seriously, I think that the number of those who are given the privilege of
>fucking-with-identity may be on the decline, with the welfare state, public
>education, affirmative action, etc. having been eroded.

My pal Dave Hawkes says that this generation of un- and underemployed PhDs could make a great intellectual leadership for a new radicalism. Is he being too optimistic?

Doug