"Better times" cannot sustain stock prices

Jim heartfield Jim at heartfield.demon.co.uk
Mon May 4 08:08:32 PDT 1998

In message <354CB684.14ABCC7D at netcomuk.co.uk>, Mark Jones <Jones_M at netcomuk.co.uk> writes
>The problem I have with K-waves is that there is no more evidence that they
>exist than that you get showers in April. I read Patrick's piece but I still
>don't believe in it. What's happening in the US is the flipside of what's not
>happening elsewhere and anyway is influenced, I think, by the ongoing rewards
>from winning the Cold War. Just where is the technology for a new K-upswing? The
>Net? Give me a break.
Much as I disagree with him on other points, I think Mark is quite right here.

Orthodox Marxism (like Shaikh) is rather too influenced by the experiences of the seventies when explaining the 'profit squeeze' was the important battle against revisionism. Over-emphasising the rate of profit (and its tendential fall) as the absolute indicator of capital's regressive tendencies, led to a one-sided reading of Marx' theory of accumulation and crisis. Most pointedly the false prognosis that a rising rate of profit equals a positive development.

The point is that whereas in the seventies a falling rate of profit expressed the barrier of overaccumulation, the economic conditions we inherit from that period are shaped by a decade or more of low growth.

In fact today's historically high surpluses are more indicative of a failure to invest and to revolutionise the means of production. There are some signs of investment in computer technology in the US, but this has been pointedly unimpressive in its effect on output. More to the point there has been no substantial reorganisation of production. That in itself means that more of the surplus is redirected towards stock- market speculation or unproductive consumption.

Engels described a similar situation in a letter to Bebel in 28 October 1885

'by choosing to invest his money in this way rather than in new industrial undertakings the money capitalist is admitting how rotten the whole business looks to him. And this fear of new investments and old enterprises, which had already manifested itself in the crisis of 1867, is the main reason why things are not bought to an acute crisis.'

Fraternally -- Jim heartfield