cultural politics/"real" politics

Catherine Driscoll cdriscol at arts.adelaide.edu.au
Mon May 4 16:43:15 PDT 1998

On Mon, 4 May 1998, Doug Henwood wrote:

> Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:
>
> >I think I was born just in time for mass production/democratization of SM.
>
> Just why is that happening now? Is it just a generally greater openness
> about sexual practices not approved of by the Bible, or is there something
> about the eroticization of power in a world where hierarchies are
> steepening?

Are all hierachies formed by the exactly the same forces? That is, in order to imagine that some dominant hierarhcies within sexual practices were being questioned would you have to be able to see a comparable process in 'the welfare state'.

> >Seriously, I think that the number of those who are given the privilege of
> >fucking-with-identity may be on the decline, with the welfare state, public
> >education, affirmative action, etc. having been eroded.
>
> My pal Dave Hawkes says that this generation of un- and underemployed PhDs
> could make a great intellectual leadership for a new radicalism. Is he
> being too optimistic?

Yes. What's more, I've just been told that the employment market for US academics is about to improve. Whihc could just be meant to distract all the fermenting revolutionaries of course.

Catherine