cultural politics/"real" politics

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon May 4 19:07:26 PDT 1998

Catherine Driscoll wrote:

>Are all hierachies formed by the exactly the same forces?

Hmm, no, but not completely different forces either. That's the sort of thing I'm trying to figure out.

>That is, in order
>to imagine that some dominant hierarhcies within sexual practices were
>being questioned would you have to be able to see a comparable process in
>'the welfare state'.

Not just the welfare state, but the process of appropriation on local, national, and international scales. There's no doubt that class hierarchies are being steepened and nastified, but gender and sexual practices are another story entirely. Haven't figured that one out either.

Doug