rural idiocy

Thomas Kruse tkruse at albatros.cnb.net
Thu May 7 17:40:36 PDT 1998

><< The SUV is the vehicular counterpart of the
> geographical insulation that suburbia offers.
> >>
>Isn't the SUV the vehicle-of-choice of Latin American elites?

Darn tootin', but the operative logic is distinct -- here the SUV has, I'd suggest, a flavor of landed aristocracy, of the rugged, hacendado variety. Platation owners basically, but proud of the doo-doo on their boots. If you saw Jeremy Irons in House of the Spirits (adaptation of the Isabel Allende novel) you'll get the picture.

BTW: one hot soap opera here right now is called "El Rey del Ganado" -- the Cattle King.

Tom

Tom Kruse / Casilla 5812 / Cochabamba, Bolivia Tel/Fax: (591-42) 48242 Email: tkruse at albatros.cnb.net