rules of engagement?

Thomas Kruse tkruse at albatros.cnb.net
Thu May 7 18:18:28 PDT 1998

Regarding:

>as a newcomer to the list, i don't know anything about how often people
>post or should post or whatever. . .
>
>What I do object to are a couple of rather snide putdowns of other
>contributors. Given that none of us have "all the answers", I don't see
>any reason that any contributor deserves to be treated with contempt.

As a newcomer to the list(s) in October of last year, I too was taken aback at first by the sometimes strident tones and less than constructive criticism. Since I have come to appreciate the personalities of correspondents, and now it all seems a bit more tame, the outbursts the stuff of folklore almost.

Interestingly, I also particpate in two lists where, oh, 90% of the participants are Latin Americans, the conversations in Spanish. There the is tone is totally different: courtesy is effusive, the use of the kindly diminutive abounds, missives often close with hugs and kisses (besos y abrazos).

xxoo-

Tom

Tom Kruse / Casilla 5812 / Cochabamba, Bolivia Tel/Fax: (591-42) 48242 Email: tkruse at albatros.cnb.net