Euro sails through

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri May 8 06:38:23 PDT 1998

Rob Schaap wrote:

>Doug writes:
>
>> A real major glitch that a lot of people are beginning
>>to be aware of is that the EU will probably not be able to
>>deal with both introducing the euro into its computers and
>>also take care of the millennium bug. This conflucnce
>>could well trigger the next global crash.
>
>Didn't you recently say something about computer networks not being ready
>for a five-digit DJI? If that was not in jest, we're in for something of
>an alignment of the planets here, eh?
>
>Or just richer software vendors than ever ...

That wasn't me, I think that was Barkley. I think these computer panics are overblown - Y2K consultants telling scare stories to journalists, who love that sort of empty sensationalism. There was something in the FT the other day about the danger of a 5-digit Dow. So many things to worry about, it's enough to spoil the bull market!

Doug