info

Max B. Sawicky maxsaw at cpcug.org
Fri May 8 11:36:30 PDT 1998

> . . .
> industrial core investors panic and flee. Thus I am depressed at seeing my
> options for change reduced to either Lauch Faircloth (who thinks that 30
> million people in East Asia need to be thrown out of work because East
> Asian borrowers who overborrowed *must* be punished)or Ralph Nader (who
> thinks that 30 million people in East Asia need to be thrown out of work
> because New York lenders who "overlent" *must* be punished). There's a
> depressing symmetry here.

Your symmetry is way overdone. Fact is that your position is not very different than most left-of-center critics of the IMF. Clearly the latter mindset does not look with hostility, in principle, at institutions that are either public (e.g., 'government'), international, and regulatory with respect to markets, unlike the political Right in all three respects.

In this case, it's not even good politics to depict oneself as a center between equally irrational alternatives. Right now the reigning political consensus is for an unthinking continuation of the status quo, which, for lack of better analytical ammunition, most Democrats are going along with. The left's problem is a lack of a focused, substantive, positive alternative, which problem lends itself to your perception of irredentism. The most congenial audience for your critique is the folks you are lumping with the barbarians. But insofar as you seem to occupy a center, you risk getting lost among the supporters of the status quo.

Cheers,

MBS