info

Fri May 8 13:44:53 PDT 1998

Re:

>Your symmetry is way overdone. Fact is that your position
>is not very different than most left-of-center critics of
>the IMF. Clearly the latter mindset does not look with
>hostility, in principle, at institutions that are either
>public (e.g., 'government'), international, and regulatory
>with respect to markets, unlike the political Right in all
>three respects.

I hope that you are right...

But the position that we need a kinder, gentler IMF that will loan more at lower interest rates for longer periods of time with less conditionality when capital in the industrial core panics does not seem to be a very popular one at the moment. I hear "why are we bailing out Bob Rubin's Wall Street friends?" much more than I hear "why aren't we taking bigger steps to pump up demand to stop a possible Great Depression in East Asia?"

Brad DeLong