Were the Nazis radical environmentalists?

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon May 11 13:15:06 PDT 1998

Dan Lazare:
>I don't know in what sense P. Benjamin can be considered progressive. He
>wrote some particularly benighted pieces during the anti-Korean boycotts in
>Brooklyn a few years back in the Vill. Voice -- nasty, racist, xenophobic
>stuff that accords perfectly with any statements he may have made endorsing
>FAIR's anti-immigration views.

He can be considered progressive as a fighter for black liberation. By singling out his mistake around the question of anti-Korean boycott, you are giving his entire career short shrift. His radio show promoted a wide variety of progressive issues and it is a god-damned shame that WBAI threw him out. Benjamin was in sharp contrast to the boring, hair-shirt crowd that dominates the station nowadays. He educated a broad audience on issues of Afro-American history that they could get almost nowhere else. He had one show on the struggle of blacks to become pilots during WWII that brought tears to my eyes. He was also a forceful supporter of Bertrand Aristide. The position on immigration was actually in vivid contrast to his overall progressive outlook and therefore highly regrettable. As far as article on Korean grocery stores is concerned, it was an excoriating journalistic attempt to show how many blacks are treated as potential lawbreakers when they simply come into the store to buy goods. It is not anti-white to point out that Bloomingdales does the same thing.

Louis Proyect