Were the Nazis radical environmentalists?

Jim heartfield Jim at heartfield.demon.co.uk
Mon May 11 15:56:31 PDT 1998

In message <199805111514.KAA04148 at dfw-ix10.ix.netcom.com>, Nathan Newman <nnewman at ix.netcom.com> writes
In message <3.0.1.32.19980511114339.0118396c at popserver.panix.com>, Louis Proyect <lnp3 at panix.com> writes
>Lester Brown is wrong on this question,
But Lester Brown's support for immigration controls is not an incidental confusion on his part, but a logical development of the 'limited resources' argument. If there is not enough to go round, then, as Louis has already argued, there will have to be rationing - including the rationing of citizenship. (Of course, racists have always taken refuge in the idea that people are a pressure on resources, oblivious to the obvious fact that people produce as well as consuming.)
> We
>should also keep in mind that many libertarian-oriented right-wingers, like
>Jack Kemp and the late Julian Simon, are vehemantly pro-open borders.
What point are you making here, Louis? Simon's support for open borders does not damage the case for an open door - it makes Simon a better man than you would normally allow (I am surprised and sceptical about Kemp's being attributed such a position).

Interesting. Louis' champion, Brown supports immigration controls. His bete noir, Simon wants freedom of movement. A moral here maybe? In message <3.0.1.32.19980511170740.007250bc at popserver.panix.com>, Louis Proyect <lnp3 at panix.com> writes
>She says Nazi "ecological" ideology was used to justify the destruction of
>European Jewry. This is a new one on me. I always thought it was Wagnerian
>operas and Nietzsche that set the German people off the deep end.
No, I think that the goal of race purity and the cult of nature were in fact pretty close to the ideological justification of the holocaust. In message <Pine.3.07.9805111023.A26222-a100000 at login>, Justin Schwartz <jschwart at freenet.columbus.oh.us> writes

>The arguments on both sides of this ratherdumb debate are based obvious
>fallacies. The "brown" Marxists (not my term), argue:
>
>The Nazis liked trees.
>The Greens like trees.
>So, the Greens are Nazis.
>
>In logic this is called affirming the consequent. Doesn't follow.

No, but it does suggest that a love of nature is no barrier to a hatred of much of humanity.
>There is also the argument that:
>
>Marx liked industrial development.
>The Greens don't like industrial development.
>So, the Greens are not Marxists.
>
>This is an equivocation. It assumes that Marx defines the acceptable
>parameters of Marx_ist_ views.
I agree there is no need to make Marx's own positions into holy scripture, but a philosophy that Marx vilified so comprehensively in his own lifetime neither needs, nor deserves, Marx's imprimature. -- Jim heartfield