"Civil Society"

Chris Burford cburford at gn.apc.org
Wed May 13 00:01:15 PDT 1998

In Britain where we also almost have a government pretending to be a government of national unity, we seem to be going in a similar direction. Active embracing of global neo-liberalism. Decentralization of social control into many competing agencies which at best are supposed to come together in a pluralist civil society. The theoreticians of New Labour know their stuff.

But despite the positive emphasis given to the concept of civil society in the Gramscian tradition, it is worth remembering that Marx's approach as in "On the Jewish Question", was deeply critical of bourgeois civil society. It is atomised and fragmented, it is the counterpart of the economic dominance of commodity exchange, in which the unit of social value is the bourgeois civil right.

No matter how many progressive organisations blossom in a pluralist Mandela-ite or Mandelsonian civil society, which pursue what are the bourgeois civil rights of the disadvantaged, this will not imperil the dominance of neo-liberalism without a global political strategy.

Chris Burford

London.