"Civil Society"

Mark Jones Jones_M at netcomuk.co.uk
Wed May 13 02:46:11 PDT 1998

Is it possible to construct a rational civil society in South Africa? Only if you share David Harvey's neoliberal optimism about global economic growth continuing at 3-4% pa for some decades anyway, and further assume that campaigning for social justice may result in a more equitable distribution of the spoils.

Is it bizarre to say that such hopes reflect not just optimism about the future of capitalism, but a deep-seated need to make a success of capitalism in South Africa? I hope that the purpose of debating strategies for creating a civil society, is to demonstrate the futility of that task, given that a much more plausible future for South Africa is the entrenchment of a corrupt ANC elite amid deepening social despair and misery, popular outrage and the failure of the ANC/Afrikaner business/political elite and its international sponsors and backers, to do anything at all about correcting the colossal inequities which are apartheid's legacy. But I'm not holding my breath.

Is not the future even WITH economic growth, likely to be one of social explosions and insurrectionary risings? And if the neoliberal promise fails, what THEN?

The lexicon of the DEBATE journal is curious: In your call for papers, the word 'empowerment' is unsurprisingly there but not the words 'state' 'power', 'police', 'repression', 'class struggle', 'tribalism': absent like the concepts

'narco-culture', criminalisation of the poor, etc, and the fate of black people in the new econo-racist S Africa.

You will not create a civil society in S Africa, which is a prerevolutionary society and were it not for the dead weight of ideological hegemony which you yourself reproduce while moaning about how people are resigned to the market etc, there would be risings now. Wait; indeed there ARE constant battles, as you yourself eloquently describe, while simultaneously describing the alleged fatalism of the masses.

No, no civil society in the making, but a lot of good careers will be made trying to create one.

Mark