Homeownership (was What did the Anti-War Movement Lead To?)

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed May 13 17:20:53 PDT 1998

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

>Hasn't homeownership become more and more difficult for younger people to
>attain for the last couple of decades in the US? Any stats?

In the U.S., homeownership rates declined in the 1980s, from a peak of 65.8% in the third quarter of 1979, to bottom out at 63.7% in 1990. They've since risen to 65.9% in the first quarter of 98, a hair under the 66.0% record of the third quarter of 1997. But that increase in the average is heavily driven by higher rates among over-60s. For every age group below 60, ownership rates are still below early 1980s levels.

>Yoshie (most of my friends in their 20s and 30s are renters)

60% of folks under 35 in the U.S. rent, and 65% of those between 25 & 29. I'm one of the 26% of my age group (45-49) that rents.

Doug