Homeownership (was What did the Anti-War Movement Lead To?)

Max B. Sawicky maxsaw at cpcug.org
Wed May 13 18:07:25 PDT 1998

> In the U.S., homeownership rates declined in the 1980s, from a peak of
> 65.8% in the third quarter of 1979, to bottom out at 63.7% in
> 1990. They've
> since risen to 65.9% in the first quarter of 98, a hair under the 66.0%
> record of the third quarter of 1997. But that increase in the average is
> heavily driven by higher rates among over-60s. For every age group below
> 60, ownership rates are still below early 1980s levels.
>
> >Yoshie (most of my friends in their 20s and 30s are renters)
>
> 60% of folks under 35 in the U.S. rent, and 65% of those between 25 & 29.
> I'm one of the 26% of my age group (45-49) that rents.

Both house prices and wages don't grow as fast they used to, but I'd say the overriding factor is not age but gender--familes with a female head and kids are obviously up against it as far as home ownership goes, and the incidence of such families is much higher now than previously. My guess is that this is the force behind an apparent age effect, since such family heads tend to be younger than average.

MBS