Overlapping lists

Nathan Newman nnewman at ix.netcom.com
Wed May 13 18:43:18 PDT 1998

-----Original Message----- From: Max B. Sawicky <maxsaw at cpcug.org> To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com>

>Say what? Walk me through that once more
>slowly, if you don't mind, Bubbelah. Off
>list if you like.

This is a useful trick that a lot of folks don't know about, so I'll send this again to everyone.

On almost all email systems, there is a way to send messages to people in a number of ways. People sometimes put all the recipients in the To: line. The other most common way is to put multiple names into the cc: line, especially since people are used to using that designation on paper memos.

But email also has a designation called Bcc:, meaning blind cc:

When you put all recipients in the Bcc: line, each recipient will receive your email, but it will appear to them that you have sent the message ONLY to them. They will not see any of the other recipients (thus the name BLIND cc:).

The other key part of Bcc: is that since no one can see the other recipients, when they reply to the message, the other recipients (or mail lists) don't receive the reply, thus avoiding multiplying messages.

If cross-posters would use Bcc:, much of the congestion and flame wars on the Net would be diminished.

--Nathan