Kinking the list

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu May 14 06:33:13 PDT 1998

Bill Rosenberg wrote:

>Seriously though - the Fire Commission which employs all New Zealand
>firefighters has announced it is sacking all 1600 of them and telling
>them to apply for the several hundred less jobs that remain.

I ran into a NZer who works for the UN the other day at a party, and he said he was on the verge of renouncing citizenship, disgusted as he is by the indifference to and/or acceptance of the ravages imposed by successive governments on your poor country. What do the NZ masses make of this stuff? You're not even getting good growth rates out of it - the OECD says NZ has been under its potential GDP for the last 10 years.

Doug