Huntin' Shootin' Fishin' and Fornicatin',

Russ R.I.P at art.derby.ac.uk
Thu May 14 09:20:57 PDT 1998

Jim D takes exception to my points about Greens being authoritarian to the core. A blanket statement I grant, but then Jim's closing quote betrays the truth of the matter- 'the planet is fine, and people are a problem that will go away'. Rather akin to Foucault's comment about Man being written in sand really. All the Greens I've come across, argue that to defend the planet, people must be controlled in some way. Faced with the consumption of resources they argue that some measure of authoritarianism is needed to keep the pesky humans under control for the good of said planet. I reject this control, whereas all the Greens argue about, is the degree of control needed to keep humanity in order. Deeply suspect, and deeply anti-humanist in my book.

Russ