Danger of an Arms Race (fwd)

Charles Brown charlesb at CNCL.ci.detroit.mi.us
Fri May 15 07:03:59 PDT 1998

>>> Rakesh Bhandari writes:
The following is by the author of Furies of Indian Communalism

Danger of an arms race (By Achin Vanaik)

Vanaik says in part

As it is, there is a powerful lobby both inside the BJP and government as well as outside it which is pushing for India to do this. And, of course, once this happens, Pakistan will follow suit and the regional nuclear arms race will begin.

Expect the bomb lobby to react in two ways to such a development. On the one hand there will be the appeal to national chauvinism about the need to counter any Pakistani nuclear threat in the name of national security, ignoring that Pakistan is the reactor.

Charles comments:

I would like to hear from some of our many skilled economists on whether the "mode of destruction",such as the U.S. military industrial complex is in recession with the end of the Cold War; and if so is there not a lot of economic pressure from this driving the "outside lobby" mentioned above.?