Clinton the "Phantom Liberal", or, the utility of surveys

Liza Featherstone lfeather at astro.columbia.edu
Fri May 15 10:53:59 PDT 1998

>As far as I can tell, there hasn't been any coverage of the Australian
>wharfies strike in the U.S. corporate media. This continues a long
>tradition of ignoring popular rebellion abroad (though the NY Times did a
>heart-rending story on how hard it was to get fresh baguettes during the
>1996 French uprisings). Hell, in the U.S. coal strike in the late 1980s,
>the media didn't cover the occupation of a Pittson facility, the first
>our
>leading editors and producers must fear that terra firma of leftish
>belief;
>their studied silence on these matters is evidence they do.

>Doug

Especially when it strikes, so to speak, institutions close to home -- witness the U.S media's silence on the McDOnald's strikes in France, last fall and early this spring, I think.

Liza Featherstone

`fdN ` ` a) fas a fa bG gDb b gb c- gcv c h#d. ev hle e hf h i i^ i i j5 j| j k kQ k k k lG l l m& ml m m nc n n o9 oz o p pO p p q& qp q q rG r r s! sN s s t* ts t

uP u u c v ve v/ v w= w w Previous page |