Homeownership (was What did the Anti-War Movement Lead To?)

Max B. Sawicky maxsaw at cpcug.org
Fri May 15 08:59:26 PDT 1998

> > San Francisco? I think a few more data points
> > on this would add perspective. Let's hear from
> > Cleveland, Biloxi, or Bangor
> >
> This from Tampa, FL:
> It's possible to work a scut job, making $6-6.50 an hour down here, and
> afford a one bedroom apt. That apt. would be in a big, dreary, complex
> with aged wall-to-wall carpeting in a somewhat sketchy area. Such apts. go
> for about $350-375/month.
> Apartments along our nude club/pawn shop/residential hotel corridor rent
> for $250-275/month.
> Cheap but scary.

But we were talking about housing affordability, and the time to become a home owner is not when one is at the bottom of the wage ladder, either now or thirty years ago.

The more salient issue would seem to be how the distribution of ownership has changed over time, taking account of cross-cutting factors like age, race, and family structure.

Cheers,

MBS