Economics of Taxi Medalions (Re: taxi! taxi!

James Devine jdevine at popmail.lmu.edu
Sat May 16 08:02:36 PDT 1998

At 11:25 p.m. 5/15/98 -0700, you wrote:
>On Fri, 15 May 1998, Doug Henwood wrote:
>> This is classic liberal thinking. Of course he would. Not guaranteed, but
>> he would. It's like the advocacy group folks who say, "People will die in
>> the streets from these welfare cuts!" as if that would stop anything.

what if one looks at the "people will die in the streets from all these welfare cuts" as appealing not to the Powers that Be but instead to potential allies? On the other hand, I'd avoid the hype of this slogan, saying instead that "homelessness will be up."

Jim Devine jdevine at popmail.lmu.edu & http://clawww.lmu.edu/Departments/ECON/jdevine.html Naming the Washington National Airport after Ronald Reagan is "like naming an organ-donor bank after Jeffrey Dahmer." -- Will Durst.