God and the N-word

Frances Bolton (PHI) fbolton at chuma.cas.usf.edu
Sat May 16 08:46:00 PDT 1998

You are indeed thinking of Gore Vidal's review of the Thern book. I don't have the review in front of me, but Vidal was talking about the problems encountered when translating the Talmud in the late nineteenth/early twentieth century. The translators did not want to use the racial epiphet (sp?) in the text, I think they substituted the word "kushite."

Yours, Frances Bolton