Homeownership and "surplus population"

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sat May 16 13:30:04 PDT 1998

Mark replies to Nathan:
>> "Surplus population" - what does that mean?
>> This kind of rhetoric, along with green "carrying capacity" - is the
>>stuff of
>> eugenics and immigrant bashing.
>
>It's also the stuff of Marxism, Nathan. The term 'surplus population' was
>Marx's
>usage if not coinage, and it has a technical significance, not an emotive one.

I agree with Nathan that talks of 'surplus population,' 'carrying capacity,' etc. can't but be reactionary, especially in the context of discussion on immigration.

The lack of recognition of racist and xenophobic implications of such rhetoric is disastrous for the Left.

And Mark says to Doug:
>Doug,
>May I ask, do you ever do any political work among your disprivileged
>neighbours?
>
>I have a proposal: my wife and I will come to NY and we (you and us) will
>go among them and make a start.

Well, it's obvious to me that Mark Jones doesn't do much political work among his neighbors either; if he did, he would recognize how his Green survivalist rhetoric of 'surplus population,' 'carrying capacity,' etc. would fare in places like New York and London--cities of immigrants.

Yoshie