"The Big One"

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sun May 17 14:32:37 PDT 1998

> [Michael Moore] obliterates the history of real resistance (there were big
>battles in Flint when Moore was making his bogus docu-drama), and suggests,
>with a sly wink, that if we only knew what he knows (you can do well be
>acting like you are doing good), things would change.

Oh please, I was a spot-welder in Kansas City when all those layoffs were taking place in the 1970s. There was no "real resistance" anywhere. That was the problem, wasn't it? All the "Marxist Leninists" assumed that the working class would take center stage in that period, but it was the bourgeoisie that did--and things haven't changed that much. What's refreshing about "Roger and Me" is that looks at the working-class without rose-colored spectacles. Even in the case of P9, one of the few acts of "real resistance" in this period, the working-class solidarity eroded in a truly dismaying fashion, as Barbara Kopple's documentary pointed out. This is not the 1930s.

Louis Proyect (http://www.panix.com/~lnp3/marxism.html)