"The Big One"

Carrol Cox cbcox at rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu
Sun May 17 14:52:33 PDT 1998

I'm in the grip of a moderate to severe depressive seige, and I may be letting my grumpiness show through here, as well as the sense of glue in the synapses, but I have to make one point, clumsily or not, in response to one sentence in Lou's post:

What's
> refreshing about "Roger and Me" is that looks at the working-class without
> rose-colored spectacles.

If you actually do this, look at the working class without rose-colored glasses, there are three issues one must focus on, probably nearly to the exclusion of all other issues-- and I would say this holds whether on is operating from a marxist perspective or 'merely' an active pro-working class bias. Those issues are:

1. The failure of white workers to support black (and other no-white) workers

2. The failure of male workers (and all too many female workers) to support female workers.

3. The failure of more skilled workers (especially those with "professional" pretensions) to support less skilled workers.

I don't know enough about Michael Moore and his films to know whether he does or does not recognize this necessity.... If he does, then he is worthy of Lou's praise. If he doesn't, then he is a lightweight and a trifler.

Carrol