Michael Moore

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Mon May 18 18:05:05 PDT 1998

Doesn't Moore tend to encourage the standard view of the working class as passive victims incapable of understanding capitalism as a system?

I think that Moore's representation of the working class is often based on the idea that 'authentic' working people are 'innocent' and 'ignorant' of politics (unlike Moore himself and those 'leftists' Moore loves to criticize). I think that this mode of representation is a problem.

On the other hand, I love his satire of the upper class arrogance. Artists on the left should do much more in this vein.

Yoshie