Michael Moore

C. Petersen ottilie at u.washington.edu
Mon May 18 18:02:31 PDT 1998

On Mon, 18 May 1998, Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> Doesn't Moore tend to encourage the standard view of the working class as
> passive victims incapable of understanding capitalism as a system?
>
> I think that Moore's representation of the working class is often based on
> the idea that 'authentic' working people are 'innocent' and 'ignorant' of
> politics (unlike Moore himself and those 'leftists' Moore loves to
> criticize). I think that this mode of representation is a problem.

No.... It's more like he says that working people are the only ones who really understand what's going on (and that's why they don't vote for either democrats or republicans) and that liberals should get out of the unitarian church basements, ineffectually talking amongst themselves, or only focusing on surface level gender or racial identity politics while ignoring class altogether, and they should go line dancing and listen to country music and watch a lot more primetime TV in order to understand how to build a political movement that will be attractive to and representative of the working class. Read his The Nation article of a few months ago.