Boyz N the Hood -help

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Tue May 19 08:06:01 PDT 1998

Gary wrote:
>I have been given an emergency task here. A colleague is ill and I have to
>give his lecture on Thursday on Singleton's BOYZ'N the Hood. the theme of
>the lecture is black filmmakers and urban social problems. Does anyone
>have any thoughts, obsessions, points to make.
>
>Where are Afro-American politics going now anyway?
>
>I recall the discussion on the million man march on the old Marxism list
>and then Rakesh made a point about the sexism of Singleton's film. If he
>is reading this and could jot down those thoughts I would be grateful.

I think that Singleton buys into the ideology that what's wrong with black America is the lack of strong father figures (which is one of the main strands of the discourse on the 'underclass'). The portrayal of Tre's father Furious Styles in contrast to that of his mother is one of the examples. While Tre (who has 'strong father') survives, Doughboy (who doesn't) dies.

Yoshie