Co-state variables...

Mark Jones Jones_M at netcomuk.co.uk
Tue May 19 23:46:00 PDT 1998

Dan, My thinking is a bit more nuanced than the deep-green idea that civilisation will continue until it just falls off a cliff. After all, as you say, there is not natural shortage of oil (or oversupply either). It's a social shortage and the effects will show up in the normal ways: by price rises, economic recession etc. But you have to ask yourself what will happen if the Departmen of Energy is wrong in predicting that world oil supply can increase by another ten million bbls/day by 2010 with NO price increase. It is hard to be sure of anything in the mysterious world of r/p and reserves data, and everyone has some agenda they are working to, the US govt most of all. But that is a hell of a lot of extra oil, and if it does come on market, then of course it only speeds up the Hubbert midpoint, after which NOTHING can stop supplies declining. (an example of spurious figurs: US conventional oil production will drop to less than 1 Mb/d around 2020, but the r/p figures will STILL show optimistically that there are '10 years of reserves').

But even an extra 10m bbls/day will hardly cope with expected Asian demand growth, even after the meltdown. Do you see no chance of conflict in the Caspian and Gulf between Asian and western interests, fighting over declining supplies?

On the price of Saudi oil: I didn't see the NYT article. In any case, I meant to say not that Saudi oil will cost $16 bbl (we're talking about future production here) but that it will cost $16,000 per bbl/day of new upstream investment, to bring it to market. That is not cheap historically. It puts the price of new Saudi on a par with some non-conventional sources:

"According to most publications, oil in Middle East is cheap: it was, but is it anymore?

Main indicator is the investment in developing a certain maximum capacity divided by that capacity $/b/d

-Orinoco heavy oil: development & upgrading plant: 1.5 G$ for 100 000b/d light oil:

15 000 $/b/d with a long maximum

-Deep water Gulf of Mexico: Mars field by Shell: O&GJ 1996: 1.2 G$ for 100 000b/d

12 000 $/b/d

-Athabasca tar sands: O&GJ 1996

Amoco Primrose: 0.4G$, 50 000b/d heavy oil: 8 000$/b/d,

Imperial Cold lake phases 9 to 12: 0.4G$ 45 000b/d in situ bitumen

9 000$/b/d

-OPEC -Ismail 1994: investment in the 1990s:

G$ increase capacity Mb/d

OPEC M.E 50 6.5 8 000 $/b/d

OPEC other 58 2.1 28 000 $/b/d

OPEC 108 8.6 13 000 $/b/d

in fact 65 to maintain old fields

-Al-Fathi 1994:

add capacity in 2000 by 10 Mb/d for 160 G$: 16 000 $/b/d "

(Upstream potential of the Middle East in the world context, J.H.Laherrère )

Mark