Co-state variables...

Rosser Jr, John Barkley rosserjb at jmu.edu
Wed May 20 10:15:17 PDT 1998

Dan,

A more accurate account of the time series of oil prices is that it depends on the balance of competition versus monopoly control. Thus, prices have spiked during periods when monopolistic control was organized and then have fallen when those systems of control have been undermined by outside competitive forces. Periods of monopoly control include the early Standard Oil period prior to 1911, the period of the Red Line Agreement between 1928 and 1930 before the great East Texas field came in (and the Great Depression collapsed demand), the period of the Texas Railroad Commission domination and high demand from the Korean War in the early 1950s, and, of course the 1970s when OPEC was able to call the shots, that control continuing to some degree until the Saudis in 1986 finally became fed up with the cheating by then warring Iran and Iraq and raised their production (leading to George Bush's pathetic run to Riyadh to save the Houston real estate market). The genie has remained out of the bag since and so it is not surprising that prices have been in a downward trend, albeit with a few blips here and there (e.g. Gulf War), especially now with reduced winter demand (El Nino) in the US and reduced demand in East Asia.

Early on in this debate Mark presented the basic data source on longer term shortage, the recent _Scientific American_ article that projected maximum world production around 2005. Even if it is off by ten years or so due to as yet undiscovered major reserves or major tech breakthroughs in terms of recovery methods out of old fields (these have been happening to some extent), at some point we are going to have to get off oil, one way or another, period. Barkley Rosser On Tue, 19 May 1998 22:22:41 EDT Dhlazare <Dhlazare at aol.com> wrote:

-- Rosser Jr, John Barkley rosserjb at jmu.edu