The Tax that Dare Not Speak...

Hank Sims sims at mail.cwia.com
Wed May 20 03:38:59 PDT 1998

Its Name.

Folks:

What about the Tobin Tax?

Is it, as it seems, a simple, ingenious solution to the ravages of currency speculation, bubble economies, non-productive investment, etc.? Or at least a decent place to start addressing these problems?

Or is it useless, or dangerous, as Sen. Helms and his /coiterie/ claim?

When I was at the EU Alternative Summit in Amsterdam last summer, the T-Tax got a lot of play. Many academics (such as R. Went, of the U. of Amsterdam) supported the /concept/ of the EU, precisely because it would have enough weight to institute the T-Tax and other associated "Third Way" policies.

I've got the edited volume on the tax, and I'm going to read it this summer. As a student of political science, though, I don't think I'll be able to follow all of the economics-based arguments. Since you folks have that training and seem to have a skill for translating the jargon into English, I'd appreciate some remedial instruction.

Best,

Hank Sims

MA candidate, Globalization

Humboldt State University