Microsoft & Moore

hoov hoov at freenet.tlh.fl.us
Wed May 20 16:56:03 PDT 1998

my $.02 on Microsoft & Moore (for what it's worth)...

the time to stop Microsoft was when it copied Apple's operating system...Apple took Microsoft to court in what was known as the 'look & feel' lawsuit...Apple said it looks like ours, it feels like ours, it is ours...Apple lost...Microsoft should have been forced to make their own...as for making the internet browser part of the operating system, the point of software is to be more integrated...the fact that Gates/Microsoft is 'evil incarnate' or that the Microsoft system is an ugly - rather than elegant example - doesn't mean that you shouldn't integrate software...

recently, some of my students went to see Michael Moore's *The Big One*...they told me that they didn't realize politics could be so funny (on one hand) and how they were sickened that corporations seem to stop at nothing to make more money and become more powerful (on the other hand)...I'm not sure that we can expect folks to come away with much more than that...one woman, encapsulating his strength & weakness, wrote:

"Throughout the movie, Moore ridiculed Republicans and Democrats alike and attacked business leaders harshly, denouncing their exploitative search for profit. He also comdemned NAFTA and other moves toward globalization. But Moore, at many points, has a nostalgic perspective as he seems to have a longing for the hey day of the labor movement."

maybe Moore should set out after Microsoft next time...Michael Hoover