Gates and Monopolies

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu May 21 08:22:13 PDT 1998

Richard Marens wrote:

>Incidentally Doug, is that why you don't like Korten? Because he makes
>populist attacks MNCs rather then dealing with the ruling class behind
>them, a class that given modern portfolio theory, could live quite well
>sucking rents from hundreds of formally distinct medium-sized
>corporations?

For many reasons, which are detailed at <http://www.panix.com/~dhenwood/Globalization.html>. Some of which: his opposition to "globalization," as if it were new, and as if internationalism itself were evil. For his paeans to the beauty of the Smithian free market, a lovely virgin that "corporations" have deflowered. For his simple-minded, essentially petit bourgeois attack on "the corporation," without any attention paid to the class processes behind it, or the geniune advantages gained by organizing production on a large scale. Because of his idiotic idea that all we need is a revolution in consciousness, and that, under the proper enlightening influences, the big bourgeoisie will do the right thing. Not that he'd ever use the phrase "big bourgeoisie," because he proudly says he's never read Marx. It shows.

Doug