Moore, Remy, & Fortune

Mathew Forstater forstate at levy.org
Fri May 22 07:22:42 PDT 1998

This is also true of relations between groups at the community wide level. In East Africa, for example, interdependent relations between peoples practicing hunting-gathering, agriculture, and pastoral modes of subsistence are key to social reproduction of the entire community. The interdependent coexistence of various systems of food production increased the viability of specialization in one form. Also, boundaries between groups were very fluid, with significant mobility between groups (making it appear that mode of subsistence determined group membership rather than the other way around). Humorous teasing, joking, bragging about the superiority of pastoralism over agriculture, for example, were one part of a number of institutions that played an important role in social reproduction. Even cattle raids may to some extent be seen as a kind of agreed upon intercommunity sport. The tragedy is that while it is clear these groups understood their important relations, colonial and post colonial State officials and "development planners" did not, justifying separation of agriculturalists and pastoralists on grounds that "they didn't get along." One excellent source is _Persistent Pastoralists_ by Peter Rigby, one of the greatest, yet little known, contributions to marxist anthropology.

Relatedly, much has been written on thesocial significance and African roots of playing "the dozens."

unsolicited plug: I don't know if this came up earlier, but Michael Yates' book _Longer Hours, Fewer Jobs_ is excellent and would be of interest to people on this list (Monthly Review Press).

Mat Forstater