Moore, Remy, & Fortune

Carrol Cox cbcox at rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu
Thu May 21 07:01:39 PDT 1998

Tom Kruse writes: Makes me
> wonder: was humor always central to political discourse in the US? Or is
> this a new (say, post WWII) thing?

The following from (I think) a minister during the Cleveland-Blaine campaign (paraphrased from memory):

"We are told that Mr. Blaine, of impeccable private morality, is a scoundrel in public life, while Mr. Cleveland, though immoral in private life, is of blameless public character. Let us, therefore, send Mr. Blaine back to private life where he can exercise his virtues and send Mr. Cleveland to the White house, where he can exercise his virtues."

The original was, I believe, less wordy, but this gives the rough content.

Carrol