TV & Politics (was Re: (a thought on Seinfeld))

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri May 22 13:59:11 PDT 1998

Charles replies to Carol S: <<I don't mean that the struggle to get on tv shouldn't be fought. I applaud assaults on television and movies by Moore and others. But I don't see us winning a frontal assault. Is this Gramsciism? War of position? I won't write out now how to search for an alternative mass medium, and how to get the masses off of tv a little, but the Lost Poets' caveat is not passe and must be emphasized in all discussion of propaganda on tv and in the movies.>>

One concern I have that I think hasn't been raised here yet is how our desire to get TV coverage might limit the form and content that our politics might take.

Yoshie