(a thought on Seinfeld)

Rob Schaap rws at comserver.canberra.edu.au
Sat May 23 00:54:04 PDT 1998

Barkley's note demands a quick disclaimer on my part. He wrote:

> Well, I hardly ever watched Seinfeld. The first time
>I did was the next-to-last show. I turned it on (out of
>curiosity over what's all this hype about?) to observe some
>of his pals stomping on the Puerto Rican flag. Ha ha ha ha
>hah!!!
> Then this last Saturday I watched Saturday Night Live
>and you know who was hosting (an old show from 1992). At
>the end of his opening monologue he went on about New York
>cabbies to much laughter. Talked much about one named
>"Abdul something with a last name without any vowels." Ha
>ha ha ha ha hah!!!!
>Barkley Rosser

Never saw either of these efforts - but they all help confirm my belief that shows shouldn't go on for too long (long-standing BBC policy by the way). The good ideas and the energy get ever more subsumed by structure and process - and you're left with cheap shots (which, in a bigoted society, would often evince bigotry). Anyway, I liked what I saw - and I never thought we were meant to like the characters - we were just meant to ponder on why we understood them so well, coz if we didn't, we wouldn't have been laughing.

Nuff said.

Cheers, Rob.