queers

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sun May 24 20:03:34 PDT 1998

John St. Clair replies to me:
>> According to John St. Clair, on one hand, there are 'people,' and on the
>> other hand, there are 'gays.' I suppose that 'gays' aren't 'people' in a
>> Rortyesque 'community'?
>>
>> Yoshie
>
>This is the kind of bullshit nit-picking that drives me crazy. If you didn't
>get my point, post messages similar to the two prior messages you posted. If
>you did, but disagreed, fine; make your point. But if you got my point, but
>decided to point out this kind of trivia--since, if you read my previous
>messages you realize that I'm posting the messages during "breaks" of a
>comprehensive exam (therefore, not rigorously checking them) out--you're
>just trying to get flamed. Flames, in my opinion, don't promote
>dialogue--among _anyone_.

Pointing out and questioning the restrictive notion of 'community' and humanity put forward by a philosopher doesn't constitute a flaming, IMO. Now that you mention it, however, I am tempted to further point out that self-absorption that is obvious in the above post of yours ends up flaming yourself.

If my questions seem 'trivial' to you, perhaps you exam may not be as comprehensive as it should be.

Yoshie