Rorty (was Alterman and Rorty)

Kenneth Mostern kmostern at utk.edu
Mon May 25 06:06:30 PDT 1998

John St.Clair: Hey, Ken, how 'bout some references. I'm familiar with (diggin' thru a syllabus) Senghor, Nkrumah, Nyerere, Houphouet-Boigny, Kaunda, Hountondji, Gyekye, Mbiti and Wiredu (who's here at USF, doing the _Cambridge Companion to African Phil._). Shameless plug.

[Kenneth Mostern] Ah, you put me to shame. My expertise is actually in African American, Afro-Caribbean and Afro-British writing, and while I've read most of the folks you named (not Gyekye or Wiredu) I have nothing special to add. On the other hand, I am writing a book on Du Bois' later work and the origin of "third worldist" marxisms -- as I work on it it becomes more and more about World Systems Theory and especially Wallerstein. Otherwise (and perhaps this will reflect on what different people find funny) what I wrote was a "joke"--based on some expertise--reflecting on the limits and the idiocy of the battle about whether to read US or continental philosophy which structures so much of contemporary cultural studies.

P.S. I get your email fine, but I noticed you're sending it in HTML. Perhaps others on the list can't read it. Anybody have any problems with Kenneth's email?

[Kenneth Mostern] I'm on a new MS Office system which I don't know how to use very well, but I have checked and the mail I'm sending can be read in pine (which is what I was using until about two weeks ago). And thoughts about what I might do to send mail in a different form?

Kenny

Kenneth Mostern Department of English University of Tennessee

"Talent is perhaps nothing other than successfully sublimated rage."

Theodor Adorno

-------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: not available Type: application/ms-tnef Size: 2978 bytes Desc: not available URL: <../attachments/19980525/28952d09/attachment.bin>