queers

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Mon May 25 20:15:44 PDT 1998

Maria wrote:
>Um, the working class needs to "somehow" incorporate males of European
>lineage? This is where I get very annoyed. This seems to assume that all
>white guys are president of the local lending institution or something;
>whereas in my neck of the woods, when I look at the assembly line at the
>Mitsubishi plant in my area or in the kitchens of the restaurants or the back
>of the garbage truck picking up my trash, I see primarily pale penis people.
>
>Oppression under capitalism comes in all colors, and all sexes.

When the majority of those workers whom you call 'pale penis people' recognize that indeed 'Oppression under capitalism comes in all colors, and all sexes,' that they have common interests with workers of color, women workers, workers who aren't straight, undocumented workers, workers in other countries, etc. to fight against capitalists, that they must fight against racism, sexism, homophobia, nativism, imperialism, etc. to _achieve the unity of the working class_, we'll be in much better shape. Rorty, Alterman, etc. aren't interested in talking to this pale + male section of American workers about the need to unite with other workers at all.

Moreover, a large number of pale + male workers (and not just the gay rights activists + women's studies students you mention in your anecdote) suffer from an illusion that they are 'middle class' and not working-class. Rorty, Alterman, etc. don't recognize this problem either.

Finally, the politicians whom Rorty, Alterman, etc. have us support are the very ones who went out of their way to make every working-class person's life difficult--especially working-class women + people of color, but also white male workers.

Yoshie