queers. On making Class real.

Carrol Cox cbcox at rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu
Mon May 25 19:54:31 PDT 1998

I would suggest that calling a sizable minority of these people
> "scabs" is not going to be helpful.

One can only speak the truth. How well acquainted are you with the history of racism in the United States? How much do you know about the work force at the Mitsubishi shop in Normal, IL? I called the workers at that plant scabs in a letter to the local newspaper for their rallying around the Boss in the case of the charges of sexual harassment brought against the company. Up to that point, there had been a flood of letters from workers in the plant defending Mitsubishi. That flood stopped: not a single letter more. My wife at that time was the president of the APWU local at the Bloomington Post Office. When she went to work the next day, everyone she met praised the letter. And that in a union local that three years earlier had been so fucking sexist that when she ran for president with the support of the outgoing president and against a former president who everyone hated she won by only 10 votes out of 180. It really does help to tell the truth, even if it offends people.

If people are objectively scabbing, how do they ever stop if someone doesn't tell them what they are doing?

How do *you* plan to fight racism and sexism?

What is your opinion on defending Mumia?

What is your opinion on waving the flag that committed genocide in Viet Nam?

Carrol