queers. On making Class real.

Michael Eisenscher meisenscher at igc.apc.org
Mon May 25 23:34:45 PDT 1998

Carrol,

Would it be presumptuous of me to assume you are of the male gender?

Are you also white/Anglo/Euro-American?

Do you work for wages?

If the answer to each of those is affirmative, you are by your own definition a scab.

While you may have silenced the letter campaign from workers at Mitsubishi, I doubt that you have ever held a real conversation with any of the multitude of white male workers there who you have summarily dismissed with this one-word epithet. What comes through in the tone of your response is not principle but contempt. On that basis you are unlikely to make much of a contribution to changing the society of which you are so critical, unless you believe that a revolution in this country will be made in the absence of, nay with the outright opposition of the vast majority of white male working class folk. That must make you a very depressed, angry, frustrated, and demoralized individual. (Pardon the cyber-psycho analysis.)

I will add one other observation, based on personal experience. Having spent nearly 30 years in the labor movement and having returned to school late in life to pursue a graduate degree, I would say that a higher proportion of white blue collar working class men I know are and have been inclined to engage in active struggle against capital on various bases than has been true of the white male academics/intellectuals/scholars & professionals I found in and around the universities. If I was about to get into a serious political battle and needed help, I'd much rather run into the nearest factory than the nearest university to seek allies. (No inference should be made about the participants on this list.)

When the call went out for pickets to mount a boycott against the Neptune Jade on behalf of the Liverpool Dockers (more of those pink penises), I am not aware of a single University of CA-Berkeley professor (pink-penised or not) who showed up on the picketline, but there were lots of those folks of whom you speak with such contempt (along with many people of color and women, of course).

Oh well, this is California, after all. They must not count.

In solidarity, Michael E.