queers. On making Class real.

Dennis R Redmond dredmond at gladstone.uoregon.edu
Tue May 26 02:47:54 PDT 1998

On Mon, 25 May 1998, Michael Eisenscher wrote:

> When the call went out for pickets to mount a boycott against the Neptune
> Jade on behalf of the Liverpool Dockers (more of those pink penises), I am
> not aware of a single University of CA-Berkeley professor (pink-penised or
> not) who showed up on the picketline, but there were lots of those folks of
> whom you speak with such contempt (along with many people of color and
> women, of course).

Uh, folks, I hate to break up this little verbal brawl you all have going, but don't you find it interesting that every little sector of the US left -- from the micropolitical groups to the union organizers -- has this habit of proclaiming their own righteousness, while carping that other folks just don't support their struggle? OK we Lefties are all very overworked and indeed overnetworked, so it gets easy to snap first and ask questions later. But not every group can be at every single demo. Let's not get into the game of blaming people for what this system has done to them; adrenalin is not a substitute for theory, namely the mundane task of figuring out how and why capitalism screws us over, and how to go about stopping this.

Let's save our hate for the real bastards, the Bill Gates and Warren Buffets of this world, who create a situation where we're all forced to brawl for pitiful scraps of the social product (and then brag about how many bruises we've collected in the process), and try to remember that solidarity is not just being angry, it's also an act of affection and love for the free subjects we working people, activists or no, might (some day) become.

-- Dennis