gender gap (was Re: Scabs?)

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Tue May 26 10:10:25 PDT 1998

At 08:11 PM 5/26/98 +1000, Trond Andresen wrote:
>At 10:05 26/05/98 +0100, Jim heartfield wrote:
>
>>...(snip)...
>>In Britain women have consistently polled higher support for the
>>Conservative Party than men (a trend that has only weakened now that the
>>Labour party has become very conservative itself).
>
>In Norway women are on the average more anti-racist, more union-friendly,
>more green, more against EU membership. Without the women vote, Norway of
>today would have had a more right-wing government (today it is sort of
>slightly right of the centre), and we would have been a member of the EU.
>
>The main reason for this political state of affairs, I think, is the large
>share of women in public sector jobs like schools, hospitals, kindergartens,
>care for the elderly, municipalities. Boy, am I glad we have them!

In that respect, the US is more like Norway, women being more likely to vote Democratic than men. Some analysts see this gender gap not as a matter of political ideology (i.e. women are as conservative as men), but as a result of Republicans embracing the so-called "Southern mentality' - mainly pro gun, macho rhetoric which many women find repugnant.

Would the same be true about Britain, and Labor assuming more populist macho redneck rhetoric (likle support for fox hunting) being seen by many women as less 'civil'?

Regards,

Wojtek Sokolowski